Thursday, September 23, 2010

Vanilla Buttermilk Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze


Good Morning Fall! If you're from the DMV area, it sure as heck doesn't feel like fall but I cannot wait for it to really start. There's a fine line between fall and winter that makes my heart skip a beat. We all know the drill- leaves change color, crisp air, hoodies, scarves, pumpkins, and chai! I can't wait! Maybe because it's so fleeting, it makes such an impression.


This morning started out with a cute omen. I had just begun to drive down my street to work when something caught my eye and I flinched. My assailant showed himself: a little lady bug. On my steering wheel! Now where on earth did you come from? Well. Whoever you are- good morning to you too!


This entry is a kiss farewell to summer with Vanilla Buttermilk Pound Cake by Cooking Light. This is a delicious recipe. One of the comments I actually received was it was too moist to be pound cake. Now, I'm no pro at pound cake- but I think it was just right. It was not too heavy and soft. Traditional pound cake is bland- it's meant to be a base served with fruits or whip cream. This one stands on its own.


The glaze is a home classic we use for pastries called cavacas. Confectioner's sugar mixed with lemon juice. That's it. You decide how strong you want it because I like it heavy on the lemon! You be the judge.

Note: the key to a good pound cake is having your ingredients at room temperature.

Vanilla Buttermilk Pound Cake with Lemon Glaze
from Cooking Light

Cake
13.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 3 cups)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
3 large eggs
1 1/3 cups low-fat buttermilk
Cooking spray

Glaze
2 cups sifted confectioners sugar
3 tablespoons lemon juice... or 4... or 5....

Preheat oven to 350°. Grease/spray two (8 x 4–inch) loaf pans or one big budnt pan.

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, baking bower, and salt.

Place sugar, butter, and vanilla in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture and buttermilk to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture.

Spoon batter into loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 60 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pans 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove from pans. Cool completely on a wire rack.

For the glaze... sift the confectioners sugar and whisk in the lemon juice until there are no lumps. The rest is up to you! Do you want it thinner but don't want super lemon glaze? Add a few drops of water.

Or you can be like me... and wants super lemon glaze! : ) Drizzle away.